bishops after 1927
John McLean (2003–2006)
McLean came to the FCE from the Scottish Episcopal Church. Based at Emmanuel, Morecambe, for over half a century, he occupied many of the major posts in the denomination before being ordained bishop in 1999. He succeeded Bentley-Taylor as Northern Diocesan on the latter’s resignation in 2003. As Primus (2010-2013) he presided over the updating of the Free Church of England’s Constitution and Canons to equip the Church to face contemporary challenges and opportunities.
Arthur Bentley-Taylor (1999–2003)
Cyril Milner (1973–1998)
James Burrell (1967–1973)
Thomas Cameron (1958–1967)
Frank Vaughan (1927–1958)
bishops before 1927
Prior to 1927 the original Free Church of England and Reformed Episcopal Church each had a Northern Diocese with a succession of bishops:
Free Church of England
E. V. Bland (1917–1927 President of Northern Synod, not consecrated)
William Troughton (1901–1917)
Troughton was a native of Ulverston where for several years he led an FCE congregation in the Burlington Street Mission. He later moved to Morecambe where he became a much loved and respected minister, becoming Diocesan Bishop in 1901. For four years prior to that, he had, as a presbyter, served as President of the Northern Synod. His funeral was attended by the mayor and local dignitaries and clergy of several denominations.
William Baker (1889–1897)
Benjamin Price (1866–1889)
Price was the first Bishop of the Free Church of England. He exercised that ministry from 1866, but was not ordained in the historic succession until ten years later when consecration by a Reformed Episcopal bishop became available. For most of his ministry he had oversight of all the congregations; it was only towards the end that the diocesan structure began to emerge.
Reformed Episcopal Church
Joseph Fenn (1921–1927)
Philip Eldridge (1892–1921)
From 1892 until 1915 Eldridge had oversight of all the Reformed Episcopal congregations in the UK. From 1915 he was solely responsible for the Northern Diocese. Throughout his years as bishop Eldridge worked for closer relations with the Church of England, particularly following the Lambeth Conference of 1920.
Alfred Richardson (1881–1892)
Richardson was one of the generation of ministers who began their ministry in the Countess of Huntingdon’s Connexion. He was consecrated bishop in St Paul’s Church, Philadelphia, in 1879 by bishops of the Reformed Episcopal Church in North America.